Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Guinea Pig Adoption Success Story


Nosey & Lilly
The Animal Rescue League receives close to 80 guinea pig surrenders annually at our main Hamilton Avenue shelter. Through vital relationships with volunteers, fosters, shelter staff and supporters, we are able to house these guinea pigs and get them prepared for adoption into a loving home. Since October of 2011, we have facilitated the adoption of nearly 40 guinea pigs.

We recently interviewed one of our guinea pig adopters and asked her why she decided to adopt and not purchase from a local pet store or breeder.

Gracie Perkins told us, "I decided to adopt for several reasons. The first one is because my heart melts seeing those animals abandoned. I had several dogs and cats before and all of them I took from the street. The second reason is because I know in the adoption/rescue center they take care of the animals before adopting them out. They wouldn't give me a sick animal and tell me it is healthy. They're not thinking about a profit but about the animal's well-being. Third, I don't want to support pet stores or breeders to keep breeding animals since a lot of them are homeless and suffering abuse."

When asked what she thought of the adoption process, she excitedly told us, "I was surprised how easy it was! On the same day I went to see Nosey and Lilly for the first time, I left the center with them in my car."

Gracie adopted Nosey and Lilly from the Animal Rescue League in March of 2012. Both guinea pigs had been surrendered to the ARL after their owners could no longer care for them. Shortly after they were surrendered, a shelter volunteer generously took the pair home with her to reduce their stress from living in the shelter.

"Lilly is the dominant one. She is bossy with Nosey. She's more calm and relaxed than Nosey when she's on my lap. But in the cage she gets scared easier, always trying to hide. When she finds a place that she likes, Nosey is not allowed to go there. She loves lettuce, carrots, kale and broccoli. Nosey is very nosy. When I put something new in the cage or I let them walk around the house Nosey is the one that adventures to go ahead and Lilly follows her.  She's the one that asks for food too. She eats all the time. She spends most of the time in their kitchen (the place in the cage where I put their food and hay). She loves lettuce, carrots and parsley," Gracie told us about her new family members.


Remember that the Animal Rescue League of Western Pennsylvania has many homeless animals, including those smaller than rabbits. Please visit our Petfinder today!





No comments:

Post a Comment